Dear Catalog Industry Participant:
Word out of Washington this week is encouraging for HR 756, the postal reform bill. According to our colleagues at the Coalition for a 21st Century Postal Service, there is increasing talk of adding postal reform to the Omnibus funding measure for the government next week, or to some other must-pass legislation that can serve as a vehicle.
Both House and Senate leaders are reportedly interested, but we only have until next Thursday when the current continuing resolution runs out. So we’re calling on you for some urgent action.
Our Ask and Your Ask
Please reach out as quickly as possible to as many Republican members of the House as you may have connections with and urge that postal reform be added to the Omnibus funding measure or some other moving piece of legislation. Your messages should conclude with an ask of your representative(s) to personally take this message to House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy.
Here are your key points to make re: HR 756:
- A huge national industry, very much including my company, needs your help on the postal bill;
- It’s bipartisan, is broadly backed, and salvages USPS’s finances without resort to a taxpayer bailout;
- It’s the end result, and a good one, of a near 10-year process – it’s time to bring that long process to a successful conclusion;
- The Congressional Budget Office (CBO) scores HR 756 at a positive $6.3 billion, which could be used to offset some other expenditure; and
- Please ask the Majority Leader to put an urgent priority on HR 756, and include it in any moving package.
You can email this or fax it to your Member of Congress. If you email it, please bcc firstname.lastname@example.org so we can follow up. We will provide further information as soon as possible about the Senate, where some delicate discussions are going on concerning how to proceed on postal to position it for the Omnibus funding measure.
President & Executive Director
American Catalog Mailers Association