Below, please find instructions on how you best can help press Congress to write federal legislation to accomplish the following:
- Create a Moratorium until the rules are clear and codified by Congress;
- Prohibition against retroactivity;
- General congressional simplification of the nationwide tax regimes to be less burdensome for companies trying to collect nationwide.
1. Click here for our letter templates to contact representatives and senators in the jurisdictions of all your company’s locations, as well as all clusters of employee residences. as well as further instructions. The letter outlines your asks. If possible, ask to meet with representatives in their home offices while they are in their home states on recess. (Click here to find your representatives.)
2. In addition to item 1, also ask House Judiciary Committee Chairman Bob Goodlatte (R-VA) to immediately introduce a law that will impose a moratorium on states until Congress can evaluate the impact of the Quillstrike-down decision and determine how to protect remote sellers from aggressive and inappropriate state revenue departments and their respective fees and audits. Please email him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. If you are not already a member of the ACMA, join today! The ACMA is leading the challenge on behalf of the entire catalog and e-commerce industry and the only way we can continue to be effective is through your active and financial support.
4. Consider an additional contribution to our Tax Action Fund, which provides needed funds for litigation, government relations, and other out-of-pocket costs supporting our tax policy positions. States continue to pass nuisance collection and reporting laws, several of which need to be challenged. The ACMA needs funding to effectively mount these challenges; otherwise, these states will come after you.
There’s a rough road ahead, but your attention to this now can help mitigate the cost and complexity of compliance. Please respond to email@example.com to tell us what you plan to do or simply cc or bcc that address on your emails.
We’re more than happy to help you, but it’s up to you to get involved now. Please act now.